Dan Leffler – 82nd Airborne WWII – RIP

Early this morning my Father in Law Dan Leffler passed away, he was 88.

He jumped into Sicily and rode a glider into Market Garden. He earned a Bronze Star. He was with an artillery unit.

Click images for larger view.

[Update] Funeral is this Thursday. The American Legion is providing¬† Military Honors and I’m to be a pall bearer.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Dan Leffler – 82nd Airborne WWII – RIP

1. 1stCavRVN11b says:

My sincere condolences. We have lost another hero from the generation that saved us from tyranny.

2. Pingback: This ain’t Hell, but you can see it from here » Blog Archive » More Airborne heritage gone

3. Orion says:

My condolences for the loss of one of our Greatest.

Looking at the pics – particularly with the two Soldiers on the gun – I was struck by how similar these shots are to ones I’ve seen young Soldiers taking in Iraq, and see online from many other sources.

Kinda makes me wonder if, had they possessed cameras then, the young Greek Soldiers of Leonidas’ time would’ve taken the same kinda shots. Perched on catapults, clowning around in front of the horses, posing in uniform…I think they would’ve.

Orion

4. mothax says:

Those are some awesome pictures.

/salute

5. Pavel says:

6. Greg aka ripcord says:

AIRBORNE! ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!

7. 2ndamendsis says:

My heart is, once again, saddened to know that another of our great American Heroes is to take his place among his brothers who have passed before him.

Please accept my sincere sympathy.

~V~

8. AW1 Tim says:

Pons,

My condolences on your loss. Thank you not only for letting us know of his passing, but for posting these images. They were all great Americans.

Respects,

9. SSG David Medzyk says:

Knees in the breeze. Hooah Sky Soldier, stand down, you are relieved.

10. OldSoldier54 says:

My condolences to you and yours, brother. Another one’s gone to the Jumpmaster in the sky …

See you in a while, Mr. Leffler. Airborne!

11. MaryAnn says:

I’m so sorry to hear this. Your family is in my prayers.

12. Marie says:

What a good lookin’ kid he was. He and his buddies so full of promise…and the great unknown. How proud we were of them, so very proud. Bless them all.

My condolences to you and your family..a very sad time, I know.

13. Jack says:

Accidentally got to your blog. Please accept my sincere condolences. He left a real hero who saved us from the horror of fascism.My grandfather also fought in the 41st year on the 45th, flying the bombers … He graduated from the war in the Austrian capital. Unfortunately has died in Israel at the age of 98 years …